University of Detroit-Mercy
The 2023 Michigan Environmental Justice Conference, hosted by the Office of the Environmental Justice Public Advocate in the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy, will be held IN PERSON June 21-22, 2023 at the University of Detroit-Mercy campus in Detroit, Michigan.
The goal of this 2-day, in-person conference is to convene conversations, explore actions, present research and continue progress toward achieving environmental justice in Michigan. The conference is intended for anyone interested in environmental justice, including:
- front-line communities
- business and industry
- local, tribal, state, and federal government
- policy makers
- public health practitioners
- academic and community-based researchers
- community and environmental organizations
- environmental justice and community advocates
Registration will open in early 2023.
NOW ACCEPTING SESSION PROPOSALS
The 2023 Michigan Environmental Justice Conference will build upon the inaugural 2021 Michigan Environmental Justice Conference, which focused on Rebuilding Trust, Reimagining Justice, and Removing Barriers. The 2023 conference will focus on the theme of Advancing Environmental Justice: Working Together Toward Progress.
EGLE invites proposals for sessions and presentations that will explore the following themes:
- Priorities/Initiatives: Environmental justice priorities/initiatives at community, local, state, tribal, and federal levels
- Success Stories/Case Studies: Environmental justice success stories or case studies
- Collaboration and Partnerships: Innovative collaborations or partnerships, including those that are community-based or connect with industry and/or local government
- Policy, Funding, and Action: Emerging opportunities in policy, funding, and action
- Research, Data, Tools, or Technology: Research, data, tools, or technology to further advance environmental justice
Session Proposal Submission Guidelines
Each proposal must include the following:
- Session Type
- Title - Limited to 12 words.
- Summary or Abstract - Limited to 300 words
- Presenter Biography - Limited to 150 words for each individual
Submission Deadline: Monday, January 9, 11:59 PM
Submitters of accepted proposals will be notified by February 10, 2023. Presenters of accepted abstracts will receive a complimentary registration.
Individuals needing language assistance or accommodations for effective participation at this event should contact Joel Roseberry at 517-599-9494 by May 21, 2023 to request language, mobility, visual, hearing, translation, and/or other assistance.
EGLE does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, age, national origin, color, marital status, disability, political beliefs, height, weight, genetic information, or sexual orientation in the administration of any of its programs or activities, and prohibits intimidation and retaliation, as required by applicable laws and regulations.