HOW TO APPLY:
Please complete the application form (linked below) if you are interested in attending this intensive technical assistance (ITA) training series.
Application Form: https://forms.gle/jZYnmgjCnjxwn3wa7
The Foundations in Prevention Intensive Training Course requires an application. The course is limited to 30 participants on a first come, first-serve basis for applicants who meet the required criteria. Please click the "REGISTER" button at the top of the page or the linked URL provided above to access the application form for this series. Applications will close when the course is filled, or no later than 5:00 pm CT on January 30.
To apply for this intensive training course, you must first complete the free, self-paced online course Introduction to Substance Abuse Prevention: Understanding the Basics on healtheknowledge.org.
Please have your certificate of completion ready to upload, you will be asked for it during the application process.
February 6, 9, 13, 16, 23, 27, March 6 and 9, 2023 from 10:00 AM–11:30 AM CT.
This 8-session intensive training course offers a uniquely interactive online introduction to the foundations of substance misuse prevention. Participants examine the key concepts of substance misuse prevention and the Strategic Prevention Framework. Participants build basic knowledge and skills necessary to identify prevention priorities and develop a plan to implement and evaluate evidence-based interventions. This course offers structured, skill-based learning opportunities, readings, and learning assignments to complete between sessions, along with group activities and discussions to enhance application of the new skills.
By the end of this series, participants will be able to:
- Define prevention
- Explain the continuum of care
- List the criteria for research-based risk factors
- Describe how the Social Development Strategy operationalizes protective factors
- Describe the five steps of the Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF), including the key tasks for each
- List three essential keys to sustainability
- Explain the importance of addressing health disparities in the context of substance misuse prevention planning and implementation
- Describe how cultural humility is essential in our work in the prevention field
Participant Commitment and Expectations:
- Complete the self-paced online course, Introduction to Substance Abuse Prevention: Understanding the Basics (https://tinyurl.com/FPprereq) and submit certificate of completion with your application.
- Participate in all 8 sessions of training for 1.5 hours on scheduled days/times.
- Complete 1 to 2 hours of homework and submit completed work via Google forms at least one hour prior to each session.
- Have the technology and set-up available to join the Zoom sessions with their full face on camera and a working microphone
- Actively engage and have full face visible on camera at least 90% of the time during each session. This is not a webinar series. Active participation on camera is essential.