Injury is the leading cause of death for people 1 to 44 years old and the leading cause of potential years of life lost in the U.S. Successful approaches to decrease the burden of injury require innovation. The focus of the U-M Injury Prevention Center Exploratory Project awards is on building capacity in injury research in the region.
The U-M Injury Prevention Center (IPC) anticipates funding two one-year exploratory project awards in 2020 that have the greatest potential to advance injury prevention science.
Awards will be in the amount of $25,000-$50,000 per award, and are expected to have a focus on: a) development and evaluation of primary prevention strategies, programs, and policies; and/or b) dissemination, implementation, and translation of evidence-based injury prevention strategies.
Proposals should address topics as described in the Center for Disease Control Injury Research Agenda, https://www.cdc.gov/injury/pdfs/researchpriorities/cdc-injury-research-priorities.pdf.
There is particular interest in research on the prevention of opioid overdose, suicide, and adverse childhood experiences; although other injury topics that will be considered include the prevention of:
- Youth Violence (i.e., peer violence, intimate partner/dating violence, sexual assault)
- Motor Vehicle Crash
- Older Adult Falls
- Firearm Injury
- Applicants are asked to submit a two-page proposal by 5pm on January 13, 2020.
- The U-M Injury Prevention Center leadership team will review proposals and invite investigators of select proposals to present their proposal in February 2020.
- The selected investigators will be asked to pitch their proposal to a row of experts (Shark tank style – 15 minutes of presentation followed by 45 minutes of Q&A session). Experts will provide feedback and select 2-4 proposals to proceed to the next round.
- Investigators of the selected proposals will meet with IPC leadership in February 2020 (by appointment) to discuss a 6-page proposal submission. The six-page proposals will be due by April 15, 2020.
- IPC leadership will announce 1-2 funded exploratory project winners by May 15, 2020 (estimated). Those selected for funding will provide a written response to any required changes, if applicable.
How to Apply:
The full RFA and application instructions may be found on the UMMS (University of Michigan Medical School) Competition Space website at: https://umms.infoready4.com.
Application: Two-page proposals due 5 pm ET, Monday, January 13, 2020
Shark Tank-style Presentations: Friday, February 7, 2020 or February 14, 2020 (selected proposals only)
Six-page Proposals: Due 5 pm Eastern Time, Wednesday, April 15, 2020 (selected proposals only)
Funding decisions: to be communicated to funded study PIs by Friday, May 15, 2020 (estimated)
Please send questions to: Sonia Kamat at firstname.lastname@example.org